Whole class games and challenging code crackers are trending in classrooms right now. Discover how you and your students can have fun cracking codes, develop Higher Order Thinking and a whole lot more! Due to popular demand, we have created a collection of Holiday Code Crackers perfect for Christmas time.
Which year levels can enjoy these whole class games? So that everyone can crack codes we have created a Holiday Code Cracker for lower, middle and upper years! Each whole class game has the same structure, but has been carefully differentiated for kids of all ages!
In this blog, I’m going to focus on the Holiday Code Cracker: Middle Years – Whole Class Game. Stay with me to find out more…
Six Fabulous Mysteries to Solve!
The Holiday Code Cracker: Middle Years – Whole Class Game includes an introductory poem, 6 puzzle activities and a final riddle. Students work in groups to solve each puzzle in order to reveal 6 numbers. Next, students combine the numbers and work out the number order to open a lock combination.
Take a look at the first puzzle – the Holiday Tree Wheel! What is the mystery number?
Other activities include:
- Rudolph’s Present Predicament
- Trifle Tower
- Cryptic Chatterbox
- Holiday Treasure Hunt
- Party Light Chaos
- Holiday Hooray! Final Riddle
Teaching and Learning Focus
Code Crackers are topping the charts because they are exciting, engaging and develop a diverse range of skills. While your students are in a world of excitement and fun, they will be developing critical and creative skills and a host of other essential life skills like untangling Christmas lights!
For example, your students will develop skills in:
- critical and creative thinking
- speaking and listening
- reading comprehension
Head to our puzzle collection for a wide range of Literacy, Numeracy and HASS related puzzles.
Code Crackers Made Easy!
I know what you are thinking…this all sounds like hard work. But, fear not. We know how time poor you are. So, to make your life easier, we’ve included teacher instructions, activity answers, activity templates and task cards!
As you can see, code crackers are perfect to use as a whole class game where students work in six small groups. So ideally, each group will rotate around the six activities and have a go at all of them. Don’t forget to use the Teacher Information Sheet as a step-by-step guide and follow these top tips:
- Arrange your students into 6 mixed ability groups and set up your 6 stations.
- Set the combination locks, with one set to 295 and one to 473.
- As a class read the Season’s Greetings Introductory Riddle to the students and ask if they have any questions.
- Monitor and support your students as they complete their puzzle. Undo any misconceptions along the way.
- Once a group has completed all six puzzles, check the numbers before reading the Holiday Hooray! Final Riddle.
- Use the final riddle to work out the correct number order to crack the code (refer to the answers on the Teacher Information Sheet).
Escape Room – Whole Class Game
To set up an escape room style whole class game, why not hide a class reward in a lockable box. Need some ideas of what to put into the box?
When it comes to what to put into the lockable box, sweets might be an obvious choice. But, what about awarding your class with an hours free choice or a pizza day!
Can your students crack the code?
For more puzzle fun read Holly’s blog End of Year Activity Ideas | Christmas Puzzle Fun.