A beautifully designed, 24-page reading magazine specifically written for Year 2 students.
The magazine’s content has been specifically curated for Year 2 students. It uses age-appropriate vocabulary and a variety of text types to address a wide range of relevant and engaging topics. The articles contained within the magazine directly relate to learning areas such as Science, History, Geography, The Arts, and Health and Physical Education.
Some of the highlights of this issue include:
- “Crabbing at Night” (narrative)
- “How to Make a Paper Aeroplane” (procedure)
- “Species Snapshot – Ulysses Butterfly” (information report)
- “Earth Watch – Protecting Native Plants and Animals” (explanation)
- “Team Trials – Success Celebrators” (comic)
- “Search-A-Rooney (image search activity).
Five sets of task cards addressing the areas of writing, language, comprehension, reading strategies, and higher-order thinking skills have been developed to support and complement the magazine’s content. Download the What’s Buzzing? Task Cards.
If you are keen to save time, ink and paper, you can display a digital version of the magazine on your interactive whiteboard or one-to-one device using our online flip-book.
National Curriculum Curriculum alignment
- Key Stage 1 (KS1)
Key Stage 1 (KS1) covers students in Year 1 and Year 2.
English has a pre-eminent place in education and in society. A high-quality education in English will teach pupils to speak and write fluently so that they can communicate their ideas and emotions to others and through their reading and listening, ot...
- Word reading
- Vocabulary, grammar and punctuation
The principal focus of science teaching in key stage 1 is to enable pupils to experience and observe phenomena, looking more closely at the natural and humanly-constructed world around them. They should be encouraged to be curious and ask questions a...
- Animals, including humans
- Living things and their habitats
- Physical education
Pupils should develop fundamental movement skills, become increasingly competent and confident and access a broad range of opportunities to extend their agility, balance and coordination, individually and with others. They should be able to engage in...
- Apply phonic knowledge and skills as the route to decode words
Apply phonic knowledge and skills as the route to decode words
- Respond speedily with the correct sound to graphemes (letters or groups of letters) for all 40+ phonemes, including, where applicable, alternative sounds for graphemes
Respond speedily with the correct sound to graphemes (letters or groups of letters) for all 40+ phonemes, including, where applicable, alternative sounds for graphemes
- Read accurately by blending sounds in unfamiliar words containing GPCs that have been taught
Read accurately by blending sounds in unfamiliar words containing GPCs that have been taught
We create premium quality, downloadable teaching resources for primary/elementary school teachers that make classrooms buzz!
Find more resources for these topics
ComprehensionPlantsLife CyclesHabitatsAnimalsBiological SciencesScienceWritingVocabularyReading and Comprehension StrategiesSight WordsHealth/P.E.ReadingAdverbsAdjectivesVerbsNounsParts of SpeechGrammarLiteracyHistoryPersonal, Social & Community HealthMagazineMagazine - What's Buzzing?
Request a change
You must be logged in to request a change. Sign up now!
Report an Error
You must be logged in to report an error. Sign up now!