A 60 minute lesson in which students will explore hundredths as fractions and in decimal notation.
- Revise the content of the previous lesson (tenths) by playing a game of Decimaster: Match-up 1 on the ABC Splash website. This could be played as a whole class on the interactive whiteboard, or individually (depending on computer access).
- Revise decimal place value, as outlined on slides 8-10 of the Introducing Decimal Numbers PowerPoint.
- Demonstrate how hundredths may be written as a fraction and in decimal notation, as outlined on slides 11-13.
- Display the review questions on slide 19. Monitor and support the students as they individually complete the questions on the slide.
- Display and discuss the answers to the review questions on slide 20. As students correct their answers, encourage them to raise any queries or concerns.
- Ask the students to sit in a circle. Provide each student with a domino from the Fraction and Decimal Dominoes – Tenths and Hundredths. Choose a student to begin the game by placing their domino at the edge of the circle. The students then need to take turns to match the correct fraction to the correct decimal to make a domino line.
- Allow students who are finding the review questions challenging to work in a small group with a teacher or teacher aide.
Suggested Assessment Strategies
- used strategic whole class or individual questioning
- observed student participation during learning activities
- recorded student progress on a checklist
- annotated student work samples
- collected and reviewed student work samples
- facilitated whole class or peer feedback sessions
- encouraged student self-reflection
- administered formal assessment tasks.
Find more resources for these topics...