A 60 minute lesson in which students will identify and explore the language features of narrative texts.
- Watch the video of The Gruffalo Song on YouTube. While the students watch, encourage them to list any words they hear in the song that are used to describe the Gruffalo.
- Encourage the students to share their list of words with the class. Ask the students:
- Do you think these words are important to the song? Why or why not?
- What might happen if these words were removed from the song?
- What other words could you use to describe the Graffalo?
- Discuss the language of narrative texts, as outlined on slide 14-15 of the Writing Narrative Texts PowerPoint. Encourage the students to suggest some examples of nouns, adjectives, verbs and adverbs.
- Read the excerpt from The Gingerbread Man on slide 16 and label the language features as a class. Allow the students to work with a partner to complete the descriptive language activity on slide 17.
- Discuss adverbial and adjectival phrases, as outlined on slides 19-20. Allow the students to work with a partner to complete the second descriptive language activity on slide 21.
- Display the image on slide 23. In pairs or individually, allow the students to write a short paragraph describing the scene shown in the image. Monitor and support the students as required.
- Allow the students to share their descriptions with the rest of the class. Encourage the students to provide positive feedback, or suggestions for improvement.
- Encourage more capable writers to construct a more lengthy description during the writing activity.
- Allow students who find writing challenging to write single words or short phrases during the writing activity.
Suggested Assessment Strategies
- used strategic whole class or individual questioning
- observed student participation during learning activities
- recorded student progress on a checklist
- annotated student work samples
- collected and reviewed student work samples
- facilitated whole class or peer feedback sessions
- encouraged student self-reflection
- administered formal assessment tasks.
Find more resources for these topics...