Fluency Reading Passage - The Thirsty Monkey (Year 5)
A fiction text to use when assessing students’ fluency.
The resource includes:
- teacher instructions
- a student copy of the reading passage
- a teacher recording sheet.
1. Select a one minute fluency reading passage at the student’s independent reading level. Independent reading is usually classified as 95%-100% accuracy.
2. Provide the student with a copy of the reading passage. Ask the student to read the text in their best voice, until they are asked to stop.
3. Use the teacher copy of the reading passage to record any errors that the student makes during reading. Words that are self-corrected within three seconds should not be
classified as errors.
4. Calculate the student’s average reading rate by subtracting any errors from the number of correct words read in one minute.
5. If the selected text is too easy or too challenging for the student, repeat the assessment a with a more appropriate passage.
"I love teach starter and am so thankful to have found such a great resource collection. The fee is only a few hours pay and I saved myself that much work within the first 15 minutes!" ~ Nanci, a happy Teach Starter member.
Want to see why hundreds of thousands of teachers love Teach Starter? Download a FREE 200+ page pack of premium Teach Starter teaching resources.
Share this teaching resource
Do you have friends missing out on Teach Starter? Easily share this teaching resource with your friends and colleagues using the links below.
Common Core State Standards alignment
Photos of this resource, shared by teachers, parents and the Teach Starter team!
Find more resources for these topics...
Comments & Reviews
Request a change
You must be logged in to request a change. Sign up now!
Report an Error
You must be logged in to report an error. Sign up now!
Go Ultimate and you will be eligible to claim two free sticker books, delivered to your door (while stocks last).
Not an Ultimate Plan member? Upgrade now...
Terms & Conditions: The free sticker books offer is only available to active Ultimate plan members during the promotional period commencing on 6 December 2018 and closes when stock runs out. To claim the promotional gift, claimants must validate their postal details via an online form. Teach Starter reserves the right to change, amend, or end a promotion at any time without notice.