It consists of 9 lessons of approximately 60 minutes duration.
The sequence of lessons and suggested time frames should be regarded as a guide only; teachers should pace lessons in accordance with the individual learning needs of their class.
An assessment task for monitoring student understanding of the unit objectives is included and will require an additional lesson.
- To identify and explore common unit fractions.
- To identify and explore equivalent fractions.
- To reduce fractions to their lowest terms.
- To convert between improper fractions and mixed numerals.
- To add and subtract fractions with the same denominator.
- To add and subtract fractions with related denominators.
- To apply knowledge and understanding of fractions to a real-world context.
Preparing for Learning
Prior to commencing the unit, develop a fractions display in the classroom. Display posters and word wall vocabulary that the students will engage with throughout the unit to stimulate their learning. For examples of such resources, browse the Fractions, Decimals and Percentages category on the Teach Starter website.
There are many concepts to address within the topic of fractions. The lessons in this unit cover a range of these concepts, many of which have varying degrees of complexity. Teachers are encouraged to select lessons from the unit that best suit the learning needs of their students, or to adapt lessons accordingly.
Some of the resources which accompany this unit plan will need to be prepared prior to teaching. For this reason, it is advised that teachers browse through all lessons before commencing the unit.