This Science unit addresses the concept of forces.
It consists of 8 lessons of approximately 60 minutes duration.
The sequence of lessons and suggested time frames should be regarded as a guide only; teachers should pace lessons in accordance with the individual learning needs of their class.
An assessment task for monitoring student understanding of the unit objectives is included.
- To introduce the concept of forces and to explore push and pull forces.
- To investigate push and push forces at work in the playground.
- To explore the force of friction.
- To explore the force of buoyancy.
- To explore the force of gravity.
- To explore magnetic forces.
- To revise the forces covered in the unit.
Preparing for Learning
This Science unit provides excellent opportunities for cross-curricular integration. Look for ways to meaningfully integrate the content of the unit with other learning areas e.g. Literacy, Numeracy, The Arts.
Prior to commencing the unit, create a forces classroom display. Display word wall vocabulary and posters that will stimulate the students’ interest and assist in their learning. For examples of teaching resources to display in your classroom, browse the Forces category on the Teach Starter website.
Some of the resources which accompany this unit plan will need to be prepared prior to teaching. For this reason, it is advised that teachers browse through all lessons before commencing the unit.
Find more resources for these topics...