It consists of 11 lessons of approximately 60 minutes duration.
The sequence of lessons and suggested time frames should be regarded as a guide only; teachers should pace lessons in accordance with the individual learning needs of their class.
An independent writing task, which may couple as an assessment task, is included in the unit. The number of lessons required to complete this task may vary from class to class.
- To introduce the genre of persuasion.
- To identify and explore the structure of persuasive texts.
- To identify and explore the language features of persuasive texts.
- To identify and explore persuasive devices.
- To identify and use correct paragraph structure.
- To improve a persuasive text by applying knowledge of persuasive language features and devices.
- To write a persuasive letter using appropriate text structure, language features and devices.
- To learn and apply proofreading and editing skills.
- To research evidence to include in a persuasive speech about a topical issue.
- To construct a persuasive speech using appropriate text structure, language features and devices.
- To present a persuasive speech to the class using appropriate oral presentation skills.
Preparing for Learning
Persuasive writing provides excellent opportunities for cross-curricular integration. Look for ways to meaningfully integrate persuasive writing with other learning areas e.g. Science, Humanities and Social Sciences, Technology.
Prior to commencing the unit, develop a persuasive writing wall in the classroom. Display texts, vocabulary and posters that will stimulate the students’ interest and assist in their learning throughout the unit. For examples of teaching resources to display in your classroom, browse the Persuasive Writing category on the Teach Starter website.
Expose the students to a variety of persuasive texts before and during the unit. Read and view persuasive texts such as letters to the editor, advertisements and campaign speeches. Provide the students with opportunities to read and respond to short persuasive texts. For examples of persuasive comprehension teaching resources, browse the Comprehension Texts category on the Teach Starter website.
Some of the resources which accompany this unit plan will need to be prepared prior to teaching. For this reason, it is advised that teachers browse through all lessons before commencing the unit.