A fiction text to use when assessing students' fluency.
Use this teaching resource when calculating how many correct words a student can read in one minute to determine their level of reading fluency.
The resource includes:
- teacher instructions
- a student copy of the reading passage
- a teacher recording sheet.
1. Select a one minute fluency reading passage at the student’s independent reading level. Independent reading is usually classified as 95%-100% accuracy.
2. Provide the student with a copy of the reading passage. Ask the student to read the text in their best voice, until they are asked to stop.
3. Use the teacher copy of the reading passage to record any errors that the student makes during reading. Words that are self-corrected within three seconds should not be
classified as errors.
4. Calculate the student’s average reading rate by subtracting any errors from the number of correct words read in one minute.
5. If the selected text is too easy or too challenging for the student, repeat the assessment a with a more appropriate passage.