A fiction text to use when assessing students' fluency.
Use this teaching resource when calculating how many correct words a student can read in one minute to determine their level of reading fluency.
The resource includes:
- teacher instructions
- a student copy of the reading passage
- a teacher recording sheet.
How to Use a Reading Fluency Passage
- Select a one-minute fluency reading passage at the student’s independent reading level. Independent reading is usually classified as 95%-100% accuracy.
- Provide the student with a copy of the reading passage. Ask the student to read the text in their best voice until they are asked to stop.
- Use the teacher copy of the reading passage to record any errors that the student makes during reading. Words that are self-corrected within three seconds should not be
classified as errors.
- Calculate the student’s average reading rate by subtracting any errors from the number of correct words read in one minute.
- If the selected text is too easy or challenging for the student, repeat the assessment with a more appropriate passage.