16 match-up puzzles to use in the classroom when identifying homonyms.
Students complete each puzzle by matching-up the homonym with its two matching pictures that represent the same sound and are spelt the same but have different meanings.
Print, cut and laminate each puzzle piece, then in small groups, ask the students to solve each puzzle.
A great spelling activity or independent task to use as part of your literacy rotations.
The homonyms in this resource include:
- bark (on a tree and the sound of a dog)
- wave (in the ocean and the action made with a hand)
- glasses (worn on the face to improve sight and an object for drinking out of)
- fly (the action an aeroplane performs in the sky and a small black insect)
- sign (attached to a pole in the street and when a person writes their name on an important document)
- watch (worn on the wrist to tell the time and when looking at something with binoculars)
- cold (the temperature of an ice cube and when a person is sick)
- bat (a nocturnal animal and an object used to hit balls)
- chest (a container to hold special items and a part of the body)
- scales (an instrument used for measuring and the outside of a fish)
- right (when something is correct and when turning a particular direction)
- bowl (an object for eating food out of and when rolling a ball)
- row (when using paddles in a small boat and the line in a graph)
- light (turned on to see in the dark and the mass of a feather)
- stamp (placed on the corner of an envelope and the approval of something important)
- ring (the sound of a telephone when a call is received and an object worn on a finger).
"I love teach starter and am so thankful to have found such a great resource collection. The fee is only a few hours pay and I saved myself that much work within the first 15 minutes!" ~ Nanci, a happy Teach Starter member.
Want to see why hundreds of thousands of teachers love Teach Starter? Download a FREE 200+ page pack of premium Teach Starter teaching resources.
Common Core State Standards alignment
Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning word and phrases based on grade 3 reading and content, choosing flexibly from a range of strategies....
Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on grade 4 reading and content, choosing flexibly from a range of strategies....
Find more resources for these topics
Comments & Reviews
Request a change
You must be logged in to request a change. Sign up now!
Report an Error
You must be logged in to report an error. Sign up now!