A poster providing the definition and some examples of primary sources.
Primary sources are original materials that are created at a specific time in history. They have not been changed or altered and provide direct or firsthand evidence about an event, person or object.
- Artifacts: Coins, plant specimens, fossils, furniture, tools, clothing, objects from the period being studied.
- Audio recordings: Radio programs
- Interviews: Oral histories, telephone, email.
- Newspaper articles
- Original documents: Birth certificates, wills, marriage certificates, trial transcripts.
- Records of organizations or government agencies: Annual reports, treaties, constitutions, government documents.
- Survey research: Market surveys, public opinion polls.
- Audio recordings: Video programs.
- Works of art, literature and music: Paintings, sculptures, musical scores, buildings, novels, poems.
A version with a white background is also included in the download.
Common Core Curriculum alignment
Recall information from experiences or gather information from print and digital sources; take brief notes on sources and sort evidence into provided categories.
Recall relevant information from experiences or gather relevant information from print and digital sources; take notes and categorize information, and provide a list of sources.
Conduct short research projects to answer a question, drawing on several sources and refocusing the inquiry when appropriate.
Gather relevant information from multiple print and digital sources; assess the credibility of each source; and quote or paraphrase the data and conclusions of others while avoiding plagiarism and providing basic bibliographic information for sources...
Cite specific textual evidence to support analysis of primary and secondary sources.
Determine the central ideas or information of a primary or secondary source; provide an accurate summary of the source distinct from prior knowledge or opinions.
Analyze the relationship between a primary and secondary source on the same topic.
We create premium quality, downloadable teaching resources for primary/elementary school teachers that make classrooms buzz!
Request a change
You must be logged in to request a change. Sign up now!
Report an Error
You must be logged in to report an error. Sign up now!