A teaching resource to help teach your students to summarize a fiction text.
This comprehension teaching resource teaches students how to summarize a fiction text using the following terminology:
- Title – what is the title of the story?
- Somebody – who is the main character?
- Wanted – what did the main character want?
- But – what was the problem?
- So – how did the character solve the problem?
- Then – what was the final resolution to the problem?
This teaching resource includes:
- a dice using the terminology
- graphic organizer using the same terminology
- bookmarks explaining the words.
How to use this teaching resource:
- Have students create a dice using the template included.
- After reading a fiction text, have the students roll the dice and then fill out that particular category on their ‘Summarizing a Fiction Text’ worksheet.
- The bookmark can be laminated and used during any reading session to remind the students how to summarize a story.
Use the drop-down menu to choose between the PDF or Google Slide version of the graphic organizer.