Explore the features of narrative plot structure with this gripping science fiction story.
Narrative Plot Doesn’t Have to Be an Enigma!
One thing that all good stories have in common is an engaging plot! No matter what the genre, a story with exciting events and enthralling twists and turns is bound to keep the reader turning pages right to the very end!
This activity has been designed to familiarize your students with the features of narrative plot structure.
The Enigma of AX29 is a gripping tale of two tired yet determined scientists, Dr. Pascal Bernard and his reluctant partner Dr. Louis Bardot, who have been working for years to discover a cure for the deadly AX29 virus.
After they have read the story, the students are required to complete the plot structure template for the text. The template includes the following prompts:
- Orientation – Where is the story set? Who are the main characters?
- Rising Action – What problem or conflict is the main character experiencing?
- Climax – What happens at the most exciting part of the story?
- Falling Action – How do the characters solve the problem or conflict?
- Resolution – What happens to the characters at the end of the story?
Multiple Uses for This Sequencing Worksheet
This versatile resource can be used in various ways in your early years classroom. Why not try some of the following activities:
- Whole-class activity (via smartboard)
- Reading group task
- Individual practice
- Homework task
- Summative assessment
Differentiate this task for learners of varied abilities by encouraging more-confident readers to complete the activity independently. Less-confident readers may benefit from completing the activity in a small-group setting with adult support.
Download to Get Started!
Use the dropdown menu next to the Download button to choose between the color or black-and-white version of this resource.