Basic diagnostic tool to test your students’ phonological awareness.
This phonological awareness diagnostic tool is a great way to get an overall picture of how your students are tracking with their phonemic and phonological awareness. The skills that are included in this diagnostic tool include:
- rhyme recognition
- rhyme production
- word awareness
- syllable awareness
- initial sound identification and production
- final sound identification
- sound segmentation
- sound blending
- medial sound identification.
There is also a basic letter/sound knowledge and awareness checklist – whilst not a phonological awareness skill – it’s also crucial to gain an understanding of where your students are with this knowledge.
Please note: This has been created to be used as a guide for teachers. It is advised to check what programs or other testing your school wishes for you to complete with your students.
- Select your preferred font (and colour or black and white) in the school font drop down and then click download to instantly get the PDF version of this diagnostic tool.
- For other options such as the whole class tracker and the editable Microsoft Word versions – simply select the arrow beside the download button. Alternatively, use the options below.
National Curriculum Curriculum alignment
- Early Years Foundation Stage
- Key Stage 1 (KS1)
Key Stage 1 (KS1) covers students in Year 1 and Year 2.
- Apply phonic knowledge and skills as the route to decode words
Apply phonic knowledge and skills as the route to decode words
- Respond speedily with the correct sound to graphemes (letters or groups of letters) for all 40+ phonemes, including, where applicable, alternative sounds for graphemes
Respond speedily with the correct sound to graphemes (letters or groups of letters) for all 40+ phonemes, including, where applicable, alternative sounds for graphemes
We create premium quality, downloadable teaching resources for primary/elementary school teachers that make classrooms buzz!
Find more resources for these topics
Suggest a change
You must be logged in to request a change. Sign up now!
Report an Error
You must be logged in to report an error. Sign up now!