A resource to help students reflect upon inappropriate behaviour.
Did you know that the word ‘discipline’ actually comes from the Latin word ‘disciplina’, meaning ‘to teach?’
During the course of any school day, our students will make the occasional poor choice when it comes to their behaviour. It can be tempting to simply reprimand the student involved, and move along with our day.
The unfortunate truth of this approach is that it fails to capitalise on the ‘teachable moments’ presented by these indiscretions. By encouraging students to reflect upon the emotions and motivations behind their inappropriate behaviour, we can guide them to make better behaviour choices in future situations. This is discipline in its truest sense.
This resource has been designed to help students reflect upon their behaviour choices. It is strongly recommended that this be done in collaboration with a supportive adult who can gently guide the student through the process.
The questions on this sheet include:
- Briefly describe the events that led you to make a poor behaviour choice.
- Describe the inappropriate behaviour.
- Describe the consequences of your actions, including the names of those affected.
- Suggest what you could do to make amends with the people involved.
- Explain how making a better choice could have changed the outcome.
Space is provided for both student and teacher to sign the document, which you may wish to keep as a record for future reference.