Segment and count up to 4 syllables with this game board and set of 33 picture cards.
This game enables students to practise segmenting and counting syllables in a fun and collaborative way.
How to Play
1. Each player chooses a game piece and places it on START.
2. Player 1 chooses a card and counts the syllables in the word. Player 1 moves to the next space on the game board with that number.
3. If there are no more spaces with that number, the player loses their turn.
4. Play continues until one player lands on FINISH!
Scaffolding and Extension Tips
Challenge students who already understand the concept to keep a written list of words that have the same number of syllables.
Support students who need help understanding the concepts by showing them how to clap as they count the number of syllables.
More Syllable Activity Ideas
- Challenge students to think of a different word that has the same number of syllables as the picture card they have drawn. Ask them to draw a picture of their word.
- Have students sort the cards into piles of 1-, 2-, 3-, and 4-syllable words.
Easily Prepare This Resource for Your Students
Print on cardstock for added durability and longevity.
This resource was created by Lindsey Phillips, a Teach Starter Collaborator.