A non-fiction text to use when assessing students’ fluency.
The resource includes:
- teacher instructions
- a student copy of the reading passage
- a teacher recording sheet.
1. Select a one minute fluency reading passage at the student’s independent reading level. Independent reading is usually classified as 95%-100% accuracy.
2. Provide the student with a copy of the reading passage. Ask the student to read the text in their best voice, until they are asked to stop.
3. Use the teacher copy of the reading passage to record any errors that the student makes during reading. Words that are self-corrected within three seconds should not be
classified as errors.
4. Calculate the student’s average reading rate by subtracting any errors from the number of correct words read in one minute.
5. If the selected text is too easy or too challenging for the student, repeat the assessment a with a more appropriate passage.
Download this resource as part of a larger resource pack or Unit Plan.
National Curriculum Curriculum alignment
- Key Stage 1 (KS1)
Key Stage 1 (KS1) covers students in Year 1 and Year 2.
English has a pre-eminent place in education and in society. A high-quality education in English will teach pupils to speak and write fluently so that they can communicate their ideas and emotions to others and through their reading and listening, ot...
- Word reading
We create premium quality, downloadable teaching resources for primary/elementary school teachers that make classrooms buzz!
Request a change
You must be logged in to request a change. Sign up now!
Report an Error
You must be logged in to report an error. Sign up now!