An Interactive PowerPoint where students choose an image to match an aural description.
Do you wish your students were more attentive? Are you looking for ways to gradually improve their listening skills? This activity promotes both active listening and comprehension. The resource includes:
- a 23-slide Interactive PowerPoint depicting 10 sets of 3 images (each set labelled ‘Which One?’)
- a script containing a short description for each ‘Which One?’ slide.
How Do You Use This Listening Exercise?
This resource could be used in one session, or broken up and delivered over several sessions. To keep engagement levels high, short frequent exposures to this type of listening with a purpose may prove to be more effective.
- Choose the ‘Which One?’ slide you wish to use and have the script ready to read to the students.
- Remind students that they need to listen carefully and wait until they’ve heard the entire description – as multiple clues are provided.
- Select students to take turns clicking on the image they think BEST matches the description. Encourage discussion to justify thinking and re-read the description if necessary.
If you’re looking for other resources that foster listening comprehension, try:
National Curriculum Curriculum alignment
English has a pre-eminent place in education and in society. A high-quality education in English will teach pupils to speak and write fluently so that they can communicate their ideas and emotions to others and through their reading and listening, ot...
By the beginning of year 3, pupils should be able to read books written at an age-appropriate interest level. They should be able to read them accurately and at a speed that is sufficient for them to focus on understanding what they read rather than ...
By the beginning of year 5, pupils should be able to read aloud a wider range of poetry and books written at an age-appropriate interest level with accuracy and at a reasonable speaking pace. They should be able to read most words effortlessly and to...
- Key Stage 1 (KS1)
Key Stage 1 (KS1) covers students in Year 1 and Year 2.
- Key Stage 2 (KS2) - Lower
Key Stage 2 (KS2) - Lower covers students in Year 3 and Year 4.
- Key Stage 2 (KS2) – Upper
Key Stage 2 (KS2) - Upper covers students in Year 5 and Year 6.
We create premium quality, downloadable teaching resources for primary/elementary school teachers that make classrooms buzz!
Find more resources for these topics
Suggest a change
You must be logged in to request a change. Sign up now!
Report an Error
You must be logged in to report an error. Sign up now!