This Mathematics unit addresses a range of place value concepts involving 4-digit numbers.
It consists of 7 lessons of approximately 60 minutes duration.
The sequence of lessons and suggested time frames should be regarded as a guide only; teachers should pace lessons in accordance with the individual learning needs of their class.
An assessment task for monitoring student understanding of the unit objectives is included and will require an additional lesson.
This unit plan includes the following resources:
- Exploring 4-Digit Place Value PowerPoint
- Percy’s Place Value Puzzle
- Goals – Numeracy (Middle Elementary)
- Place Value Chart – Thousands
- 0-9 Digit Cards
- 4-Digit Place Value Card Game – Flip It!
- Place Value Bingo Game – Numbers 0-10,000
- Numeral Expander – Thousands
- Place Value Cards – 10,000; 1,000; 100; 10; 1
- Flip, Draw, Expand! – Place Value Worksheet (4-Digit Numbers)
- Expanded Form Dominoes (4-Digit Numbers)
- 4-Digit Place Value Warm Up – Interactive PowerPoint
- 4-Digit Place Value Game – Race Up the Rounding Ladder
- Greater/Less Than Crocodile Posters
- Random Numbers Base-10 Flashcards 100-10,000
- 4-Digit Place Value Card Game – Race to 10,000
- I Have, Who Has? Game – Place Value (4-Digit Numbers)
- 4-Digit Place Value – Assessment
- To introduce place value to the thousands place.
- To further explore place value in the thousands.
- To investigate how place value can be used to decompose numbers into smaller parts.
- To investigate how place value can be used to expand numbers.
- To round 4-digit numbers to the nearest 10 and 100.
- To compare and order 4-digit numbers.
- To add or subtract 10; 100; or 1,000 from a 4-digit number.
Prior to commencing the unit, develop a place value display in the classroom. Display posters, word wall vocabulary and learning goals that the students will engage with throughout the unit to stimulate their learning. For examples of such resources, browse the Place Value category on the Teach Starter website.
There are many concepts to address within the topic of 4-digit place value. The lessons in this unit cover a range of these concepts, many of which have varying degrees of complexity. Teachers are encouraged to select lessons from the unit that best suit the learning needs of their students, or to adapt lessons accordingly.
Some of the resources which accompany this unit plan will need to be prepared prior to teaching. For this reason, it is advised that teachers browse through all lessons before commencing the unit.
National Curriculum Curriculum alignment
- Key Stage 2 (KS2) - Lower
Key Stage 2 (KS2) - Lower covers students in Year 3 and Year 4.
The principal focus of mathematics teaching in lower key stage 2 is to ensure that pupils become increasingly fluent with whole numbers and the four operations, including number facts and the concept of place value. This should ensure that pupils dev...
- Number and place value