A template students can use to reflect on immigration to Australia while researching their own family ancestry.
This teaching resource provides a template for students to collect information about their family ancestry and where their family originates from in relation to Australia. Students can interview their family members to find out whether anyone in their family tree immigrated to Australia during the Gold Rush period, or which region of Australia their family arose from.
Once completed, this task also makes an interesting, personalised display that reflects classroom diversity.
- Paste photos of the students onto the template provided.
- Cut the template out.
- Paste the template onto coloured card.
- Stick the cards around a world map to make a wall display.
- Place pins into the world map to show where families came from.
- Link string from the card to the pin to show the journey undertaken.
- Gaze in awe at the underlying cultural influences in your classroom.
This resource can be used for an Australian History unit or as a beginning of the year classroom ice-breaker display.
This resource is included in Teach Starter’s Australian Gold Rush unit.