An educational poster providing a rationale for teaching Australian children about Aboriginal artefacts.
Display this poster in your classroom as a reminder of the importance of integrating Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander perspectives across the curriculum.
Why teach all Australian kids about Aboriginal artefacts?
Teaching Australian children about Aboriginal artefacts provides a great opportunity to:
- consider a primary source of evidence from Aboriginal history
- acknowledge the importance of artefacts to the descendants from this region
- reflect on how life was lived in the Sydney basin before colonisation
- understand the power of governments in supporting or denying heritage values
- recognise the importance of artefacts in revealing historical information from a time before written records
- recognise the competing goals of history and progress.
A great addition to your collection of First Nations resources
The content in this poster addresses the cross-curricular priority of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Histories and Culture. It could also be used to guide conversations with your students in conjunction with NAIDOC Week celebrations.
Australian Curriculum alignment
How the stories of families and the past can be communicated, for example, through photographs, artefacts, books, oral histories, digital media and museumsElaborationsengaging with the oral traditions, painting and music of Aboriginal and Torres Stra...
The importance today of a historical site of cultural or spiritual significance in the local area, and why it should be preserved
The importance of Country/Place to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Peoples who belong to a local area
Wingaru Kids provides quality content created by Aboriginal people in an engaging format so that students are excited to learn authentic and accurate knowledge about Aboriginal people.
Find more resources for these topics
Suggest a change
You must be logged in to request a change. Sign up now!
Report an Error
You must be logged in to report an error. Sign up now!