An educational poster providing a rationale for teaching Australian children about Aboriginal artefacts.
Display this poster in your classroom as a reminder of the importance of integrating Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander perspectives across the curriculum.
Why teach all Australian kids about Aboriginal artefacts?
Teaching Australian children about Aboriginal artefacts provides a great opportunity to:
- consider a primary source of evidence from Aboriginal history
- acknowledge the importance of artefacts to the descendants from this region
- reflect on how life was lived in the Sydney basin before colonisation
- understand the power of governments in supporting or denying heritage values
- recognise the importance of artefacts in revealing historical information from a time before written records
- recognise the competing goals of history and progress.
A great addition to your collection of First Nations resources
The content in this poster addresses the cross-curricular priority of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Histories and Culture. It could also be used to guide conversations with your students in conjunction with NAIDOC Week celebrations.