An educational poster providing a rationale for teaching Australian children about Aboriginal customs.
Display this poster in your classroom as a reminder of the importance of integrating Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander perspectives across the curriculum.
Why teach all Australian kids about Aboriginal customs?
Teaching Australian children about Aboriginal customs provides a great opportunity to:
- learn about the survival techniques of the Aboriginal people in the cold climate of southern Victoria
- appreciate that cloaks used for warmth had artistic & spiritual aspects, too
- discover the sophisticated methods of aquatic farming, food preservation, and trade undertaken by the Gunditjmara people
- uncover facts from the past that were excluded from history books, such as the origins of the game called ‘marngrook’
- understand the impact of colonisation on Gunditjmara culture and language.
A great addition to your collection of First Nations resources
The content in this poster addresses the cross-curricular priority of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Histories and Culture. It could also guide conversations with your students in conjunction with NAIDOC Week celebrations.