An educational poster providing a rationale for teaching Australian children about Aboriginal identity.
Display this poster in your classroom as a reminder of the importance of integrating Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander perspectives across the curriculum.
Why teach all Australian kids about Aboriginal identity?
Teaching Australian children about Aboriginal identity provides a great opportunity to:
- reinforce the fact that Aboriginality is not determined by skin colour
- consider concepts of identity in a multicultural nation
- understand that cultural difference has been a basis for racism in Australia
- learn that a broader understanding of diversity can facilitate acceptance
- appreciate how Aboriginal People view their identity and changes that have occurred since colonisation.
A great addition to your collection of First Nations resources
The content in this poster addresses the cross-curricular priority of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Histories and Culture. It could also be used to guide conversations with your students in conjunction with NAIDOC Week celebrations.