An educational poster providing a rationale for teaching Australian children about early contact in Australia.
Display this poster in your classroom as a reminder of the importance of integrating Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander perspectives across the curriculum.
Why teach all Australian kids about early contact in Australia?
Teaching Australian children about early contact provides a great opportunity to:
- understand that “first” contact happened many times over with many different language groups
- identify the encounters that benefitted the Aboriginal peoples and those that had a negative impact
- consider the impact of colonial contact on thousands of years of Aboriginal culture
- outline different world views about the ownership of land and relate how this caused conflict
- see the links between early contact and issues that Aboriginal people experience to this day.
A great addition to your collection of First Nations resources
The content in this poster addresses the cross-curricular priority of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Histories and Culture.