An educational poster providing a rationale for teaching Australian children about the 1967 referendum.
Display this poster in your classroom as a reminder of the importance of integrating Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander perspectives across the curriculum.
Why teach all Australian kids about the 1967 referendum?
Teaching Australian children about the 1967 referendum provides a great opportunity to:
- learn about a significant turning point in post-colonial history
- learn how ordinary citizens can rally to change legislation
- counter myths that exist about what the referendum achieved
- understand the inequality that Aboriginal people faced as British subjects and later as non-citizens after Federation
- witness a time in history when the majority of the population supported an Aboriginal issue.
A great addition to your collection of First Nations resources
The content in this poster addresses the cross-curricular priority of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Histories and Culture.