An editing workbook for middle primary students containing 20 topical texts.
This is a resource that lives up to its name – it is truly epic! 20 editing passages covering a range of text types and topics!
Students must use their best detective skills to identify and correct the spelling, grammar and punctuation errors in the text provided.
It is highly recommended that you explicitly teach your students editing strategies before they attempt the tasks in this booklet. You might suggest that the students:
- Read the text aloud to listen for natural pauses, and for words/phrases that sound obviously incorrect.
- Mark up the text using the common editing symbols listed in the resource.
- Attack one aspect of writing at a time, rather than concurrently, e.g. look for punctuation errors, then spelling errors, then grammatical errors.
- Rewrite the text correctly on the lines provided.
- Read the text aloud again to see if it sounds grammatically correct when spoken.
Two versions of this resource have been provided. One has a set of predetermined editing symbols for students to use. The other has a blank section where students can add their own editing symbols.
The texts included in the workbook are:
- Sea Jellies
- The Moon
- Indoor Play
- Australia’s Indigenous Peoples and Cultures
- The Birthday Surprise
- Roald Dahl
- Canine Communication Collar
- Let’s Go Swimming!
- No More Junk Mail!
- The Golden Gate Bridge
- Owning a Pet
- Bruno’s Big Adventure
- The History of Pizza
- Bike Riding.