An individual word building folder to develop and consolidate students’ phonemic awareness.
Use this hands-on teaching resource to consolidate your students’ phonemic awareness as they build and explore words.
The resource includes 96 common graphemes consisting of one, two, three and four letters.
Students can make words by blending the grapheme tiles together. Additional activities ideas are also included in the resource.
How do I prepare these word builder folders for my students?
- Source an A4-sized manilla folder for each student in your class.
- Glue the title page on the front of the folder and the activities page on the back of the folder.
- Glue the two blank grids on the inside of the folder (one on each side). Affix a Velcro dot to each grid square. There are 96 squares in all.
- Prepare a set of grapheme tiles for each student. These will need to be printed, laminated and affixed with a Velcro dot.
- Affix the grapheme tiles to the grid squares inside the folder.
- The word builder folders are now ready for your students to use!
Alternatively, to save time and paper, you may wish to print the grapheme tiles at a larger size, then create a class set for students to use during literacy rotations.
This teaching resource was created in conjunction with Paul Hemphill at the Let’s Collaborate event.
National Curriculum Curriculum alignment
English has a pre-eminent place in education and in society. A high-quality education in English will teach pupils to speak and write fluently so that they can communicate their ideas and emotions to others and through their reading and listening, ot...
- Key Stage 1 (KS1)
Key Stage 1 (KS1) covers students in Year 1 and Year 2.
We create premium quality, downloadable teaching resources for primary/elementary school teachers that make classrooms buzz!
Suggest a change
You must be logged in to request a change. Sign up now!
Report an Error
You must be logged in to report an error. Sign up now!