A set of 36 task cards to practise decoding CCVC words.
Use this activity as a fun way to practise decoding words that involve blending at the beginning of the word.
How to play SPLAT!
- Print out the task cards on card and cut them out on the dotted line. Store in a resealable bag to be used again and again.
- Shuffle the cards and place them in a pile face down in the middle of the playing area.
- Have one player draw a card and read the word.
- If the player reads the word correctly, they get to keep the card. If they do not read it correctly, they place the card on the bottom of the pile.
- If a SPLAT! card is drawn, the player must put all of their cards back in the pile.
- The player with the most cards at the end of the game wins!
This resource is great when used as an English Group Activity to reinforce decoding words that involve blending.
How to Extend Student Learning
Looking for ways to extend your students’ learning with this activity? At the end of the game, why not have them put the words they have collected in alphabetical order. Alternatively, students could create a list of rhyming words for each card they collected throughout the game. They could then share their lists with a partner to read.
Are your students working on sentence writing? Why not have them choose a card and write a sentence using that word. The activity ideas for this resource are endless!
This resource was created by Lauren Piper, a Teach Starter Collaborator.
National Curriculum Curriculum alignment
- Apply phonic knowledge and skills as the route to decode words
Apply phonic knowledge and skills as the route to decode words
English has a pre-eminent place in education and in society. A high-quality education in English will teach pupils to speak and write fluently so that they can communicate their ideas and emotions to others and through their reading and listening, ot...
- Key Stage 1 (KS1)
Key Stage 1 (KS1) covers students in Year 1 and Year 2.
- Read accurately by blending sounds in unfamiliar words containing GPCs that have been taught
Read accurately by blending sounds in unfamiliar words containing GPCs that have been taught
- Word reading
We create premium quality, downloadable teaching resources for primary/elementary school teachers that make classrooms buzz!
Find more resources for these topics
Suggest a change
You must be logged in to request a change. Sign up now!
Report an Error
You must be logged in to report an error. Sign up now!