An educational poster providing a rationale for teaching Australian children about the National Apology.
Display this poster in your classroom as a reminder of the importance of integrating Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander perspectives across the curriculum.
Why teach all Australian kids about the National Apology?
Teaching Australian children about the National Apology provides an important opportunity to:
- consider the long-lasting impact of colonisation on First Nations people
- understand that governments can make mistakes and should apologise
- witness how a groundswell of public opinion became adopted by governments around Australia
- appreciate that the apology was only one of many steps needed for reconciliation
- learn about the impact of the Stolen Generations.
A great addition to your collection of First Nations resources
The content in this poster addresses the cross-curricular priority of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Histories and Culture. It could also be used to guide conversations with your students on National Sorry Day.