A fun food-themed phonics activity for lower years that helps to develop syllable recognition.
Use this teaching resource in the classroom when teaching and learning how to recognise sounds and syllables in spoken words.
This phonics activity is ideal to use in small groups during English groups or as a warm-up activity.
- Laminate and cut each food puzzle along the dotted lines.
- Mix up the pieces and place them face-up on a table.
- Ask your students to take it in turns to select from the puzzle pieces to construct a word.
- Encourage your students to clap and sound out each syllable.
National Curriculum Curriculum alignment
- Communication, language and literacy
- Early Years Foundation Stage
English has a pre-eminent place in education and in society. A high-quality education in English will teach pupils to speak and write fluently so that they can communicate their ideas and emotions to others and through their reading and listening, ot...
- Key Stage 1 (KS1)
Key Stage 1 (KS1) covers students in Year 1 and Year 2.
We create premium quality, downloadable teaching resources for primary/elementary school teachers that make classrooms buzz!
The syllable splits have been adjusted.
Fix by Paul (Teach Starter) Oct 28th, 2020
Suggest a change
You must be logged in to request a change. Sign up now!
Report an Error
You must be logged in to report an error. Sign up now!