A Year 4 reading fluency assessment.
Use this teaching resource when calculating how many correct words a student can read in one minute to determine their level of reading fluency.
The resource includes:
- a student copy of the reading passage
- a teacher recording sheet
- an instruction sheet (available via the drop-down menu).
- Select a one-minute fluency reading passage at the student’s independent reading level. Independent reading is usually classified as 95%–100% accuracy.
- Provide the student with a copy of the reading passage. Ask the student to read the text in their best voice, until they are asked to stop. Start a timer for one minute. It is best to keep the timer out of view of the students as this can add additional pressure to them.
- Use the teacher copy of the reading passage to record any errors that the student makes during reading. Words that are self-corrected within three seconds should not be classified as errors.
- Calculate the student’s average reading rate by subtracting any errors from the total number of words read in one minute.
- If the selected text is too easy or too challenging for the student, repeat the assessment with a more appropriate passage.