This Mathematics unit addresses a range of 3-digit place value number concepts involving identifying, sequencing and representing.
It consists of 6 lessons of approximately 60 minutes duration.
The sequence of lessons and suggested time frames should be regarded as a guide only; teachers should pace lessons in accordance with the individual learning needs of their class.
An assessment task for monitoring student understanding of the unit objectives is included.
This unit plan includes the following resources:
- Base-10 Flashcards – Random Numbers (100–10,000)
- Goals – Numeracy (Lower Elementary)
- Number Sequencing to 1,000 – Worksheet
- Identifying Number Patterns and their Rules – PowerPoint
- Number Patterns – Worksheet
- Exploring 3-Digit Place Value PowerPoint
- Place Value War – Number Game
- 3-Digit Place Value Cacti
- QR Code 3-Digit Place Value Scavenger Hunt
- I Have, Who Has? Game – Place Value (3-Digit Numbers)
- Decomposing 3-Digit Numbers – Match-Up Cards
- 3-Digit Roll It, Make It, Expand It! – Place Value Worksheet
- 3-Digit Number Expander – Bat
- 3-Digit Number Expander – Peacock
- 3-Digit Place Value Card Game – Flip It!
- 3-Digit Place Value Scavenger Hunt Worksheet
- Counting Collections in the Hundreds PowerPoint
- Place Value Castle
- 3-Digit Number of the Day Worksheet
- The Place Value Structure Challenge
- Place Value Bingo Game – Numbers 0-999
- 3-Digit Place Value Warm-Up – Interactive PowerPoint
- To identify patterns in number sequences.
- To understand that number patterns have rules.
- To understand that 3-digit numbers are made up of hundreds, tens, and ones.
- To understand how 3-digit numbers can be decomposed.
- To identify 3-digit numbers in the environment.
- To explore ways to count collections in the hundreds more efficiently.
Preparing for Learning
Prior to commencing the unit, develop a numbers display in the classroom. Display posters, word wall vocabulary and learning goals that the students will engage with throughout the unit to stimulate their learning. For examples of such resources, browse the Place Value category on the Teach Starter website.
There are many concepts to address when introducing 3-digit place value to younger students. The lessons in this unit cover a range of these concepts, many of which have varying degrees of complexity. Teachers are encouraged to select lessons from the unit that best suit the learning needs of their students, or to adapt lessons accordingly.
Some of the resources which accompany this unit plan will need to be prepared prior to teaching. For this reason, it is advised that teachers browse through all lessons before commencing the unit.
National Curriculum Curriculum alignment
- Key Stage 1 (KS1)
Key Stage 1 (KS1) covers students in Year 1 and Year 2.
The principal focus of mathematics teaching in key stage 1 is to ensure that pupils develop confidence and mental fluency with whole numbers, counting and place value. This should involve working with numerals, words and the four operations, includin...
- Number and place value