It’s the holidays! And, it’s time to have some totally acceptable Netflix binging sessions! Let’s face it, teachers love a good Netflix binge even during the term – all while replying to emails, doing lesson planning and scrolling Pinterest. We’re very good at multitasking, aren’t we? It helps if we have some of the best Netflix series at our fingertips!
Well, good news – when it’s the holidays, you can sit and watch a good Netflix series without having to do anything else – except perhaps popping the kettle on in between episodes and re-filling the snack bowl! But, what should you watch? There are so many different series out there and it’s often hard to find a good one.
We asked our tribe of teachers on Instagram for their top picks for a binge-watch over the holidays.
The Best Netflix Series (Totally Binge-worthy)
With season 3 of this show being released in October, if you haven’t watched this show you’ll have 3 seasons to binge! A thriller about an obsessive young man who goes to extreme measures to insert himself into the lives of others.
This is an extremely raw and inspiring exploration of a mother’s resilience. A series about a single mother who scrambles to get house cleaning jobs to make ends meet as she escapes an abusive relationship. She will do anything to create a better life for her daughter, Maddy.
Sometimes, a little, somewhat, tacky ‘reality tv’ watching is what’s needed. Introducing, Selling Sunsets – a reality show all about luxe real estate, where the only thing bigger than the real estate listings is the drama of all of the realtors on the show!
A royal woman living in rural Russia during the 18th century is forced to choose between her own personal happiness and the future of Russia when she marries an Emperor.
This show isn’t for the faint-hearted. When a family man is abducted in a crime with a sinister online twist, those closes to him race to uncover who is behind it and why! If you like a show that has many twists – this is for you!
Warning – this is one that you’ll be saying – just one more episode at 11pm at night!
Well, we couldn’t possibly do a round-up of binge-worthy shows without featuring the most streamed show ever on Netflix. If you haven’t heard of Squid Game – then you may have been living under a rock. This show is horrific and terrifying – but you just can’t look away!
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Ok, let’s lighten it up a bit with this hilarious comedy series!
Kimmy Schmidt was rescued at the age of 15 years from a cult. Follow her as she tries to reclaim her life by venturing to New York and experiencing everyday life with wide-eyed enthusiasm.
Here’s one for all of the romantics out there!
Seeking a fresh start, a nurse moves from LA to a remote town in Northern California. The small-town living isn’t quite like she expected…
You guys definitely liked the comedies! Which isn’t a surprise – something light-hearted that will make you laugh is the perfect school holiday watching!
This series is another goodie with 5 series ready to go!
Isn’t it the worst when you start watching a series and then find out there is only one series available?
The formerly filthy-rich Rose family is reduced to living in a ramshackle motel in a town they once bought as a joke: Schitt’s Creek!
While you’re binging this show – you might like to check out our A Day in the Life of a Teacher – Schitt’s Creek Edition.
If you’re into crime – this one’s for you!
This drama series stars a financial planner who relocates his family from Chicago to a summer resort community in the Ozarks. But, after a money-laundering scheme goes wrong their fate hangs in the balance.
I’m going to be honest, this one had me binging real hard!
Tully and Kate meet as young girls on Firefly Lane and become inseparable best friends through 30 years of ups and downs.
Not your typical western cowboy show! Yellowstone follows a family, led by John Dutton, who controls the largest ranch in the United States, under constant attack by those it borders – land developers, an Indian reservation and America’s first National Park.
Hold tight! This is another one where you’ll find yourself saying… “just one more episode… then I’ll go to bed!”
This is an American drama series starring our very own Toni Collette.
We had a number of teachers let us know they have spent many hours watching these episodes back-to-back. A Netflix-original drama following the life of Queen Elizabeth II from the 1940s to modern times.
Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist
This comedy-drama will have you singing along to some of the most famous songs as they are intertwined into the life story of Zoey!
More of the Best Netflix Shows to Binge
These shows followed closely behind our top binge-worthy shows shared by teachers. See if you can notice some blasts from the past…
- The Office – a comedy you’ll never forget.
- Never Have I Ever – an Indian-American teen just wants to spruce up her social status — but friends, family and feelings won’t make it easy.
- Outlander – a romance focusing on two time-crossed lovers.
- Gilmore Girls – a drama about a fiercely independent single mum raising a gifted daughter.
- Big Mouth – an adult animation about teenage friends going through puberty.
- Living with Yourself – a drama about a man who undergoes a strange procedure and wakes up to find he’s been replaced by a better version of himself.
- Dirty John – a thriller about a businesswoman whose life unravels when she falls for the lies and manipulation of a con man.
- Grey’s Anatomy – a drama that follows the personal and professional lives of a team of interns and residents at a Seattle hospital.
- Anne With an E – based on Anne of Green Gables.
- Emily in Paris – a romantic comedy following Emily as she lands her dream job in Paris.
- Whitelines – a crime drama following Zoe Walker as she leaves her quiet life behind to investigate her brother’s disappearance in Ibiza.
- Lucifer – another crime drama about Lucifer and his journey relocating to Los Angeles and opening a nightclub.
- Bump – Oly is an ambitious, high-achieving teenager who has a surprise baby. Follow her highs and lows as she tries to navigate being a teenager and a mum!