Print a set of open number lines to help you teach a variety of maths skills.
Print a Pack of Blank Number Lines!
Are you looking for a versatile tool to support your maths instruction? Look no further than the humble number line. While it may seem like a simple tool for counting and basic arithmetic, number lines can be used in a variety of creative ways to enhance students’ understanding of more advanced maths concepts.
What Can You Teach on a Number Line?
You might think a number line is one of those basic tools that primary-grade students only use to learn to count, add, and subtract. But it can be so much more! Here are a few more things you can do with a blank number line!
- These blank number lines are perfect for showing students how to locate fractions on the number line, partition an open number line, compare and order fractions, and perform operations with fractions.
- Like fractions, the blank number line is a handy tool to help you teach students about decimals. Use the number line to locate, compare, order, and solve problems.
- An extended blank number line can teach negative numbers by showing students how to locate negative numbers on the number line and perform operations with negative numbers.
- In upper grades, number lines teach algebraic equations by showing students how to represent variables and solve equations using the number line.
- The number line is also a great tool to help you teach patterns and sequences. With a number line, you can have your students identify and extend number patterns on the number line.
Download and Print Your Open Number Lines
This resource download includes a single-page group of six open number lines perfect for use in various maths lessons.
This resource prints as a landscape-formatted black-and-white PDF document. Click the download button, print your copies, and you’re ready to teach! You can make your number lines reusable by slipping them into a transparent sleeve/sheet protector and having your students write on them with a dry-erase marker.