A set of 120 open-ended question cards to help students apply comprehension strategies when reading.
Using comprehension strategies is an important skill for students.
The activities on these cards can be used with any piece of text that your students may be reading.
Print, cut, laminate and put the cards in your reading group boxes or on a comprehension-free choice board.
This teaching resource includes six open-ended question cards for each of the following comprehension strategies:
- identifying the author’s purpose
- compare and contrast
- making inferences and drawing conclusions
- distinguishing between real and make-believe
- finding word meaning in context
- recognising cause and effect
- understanding sequencing
- distinguishing between fact and opinion
- finding the main idea
- making predictions
- recalling facts and details
- interpreting figurative language
- activating prior knowledge
- making connections
- skimming and scanning.