A set of friends of ten mazes where students find missing addends to solve the maze.
🏰 Number Facts – Addition Strategies Game
Can your students solve the jester’s riddle and find their way to the castle? Use this printable addition strategy template to reinforce the fundamental math strategy of making ten! This activity will aid student development of both mental computation and fact recall. Students will demonstrate their recall of addition facts to make ten – or a fact family!
Three different mazes are included in the resource, with an answer page for each.
The castle jester has locked doors leading up to the castle. Students will solve the missing addends on the note to determine which doors are locked.
Then they will draw a path leading from the start to the finish at the castle.
Tips for Differentiation + Scaffolding
In addition to individual student work time, use these worksheet as:
- guided maths groups activities
- lesson exit tickets
- fast finisher activities
- homework assignments
- a whole-class review (via smartboard).
There are multiple ways to extend students on each maze. Here are some suggestions:
- Have students add the numbers of the unlocked doors.
- Get students to write the related number facts for each friend of ten.
- Task students with writing simple word problems for each question on the back of the sheet.