A mathematics investigation about number and the scale of the solar system, embedded in a real-world context.
In this investigation, students are required to perform calculations using provided formulae to explore whether it is possible to create a scale model of the solar system inside a classroom.
This teaching resource includes:
- teacher notes, detailing a range of important information about the investigation
- a detailed description of the investigation for students, including step-by-step instructions
- various recording worksheets
- reflection questions
- answer sheets.
How do I print this teaching resource?
"I love teach starter and am so thankful to have found such a great resource collection. The fee is only a few hours pay and I saved myself that much work within the first 15 minutes!" ~ Nanci, a happy Teach Starter member.
Want to see why hundreds of thousands of teachers love Teach Starter? Download a FREE 200+ page pack of premium Teach Starter teaching resources.
Australian Curriculum alignment
- Mathematics > Year 6 > Measurement and Geometry > Using units of measurement > ACMMG135
Connect decimal representations to the metric systemElaborationsrecognising the equivalence of measurements such as 1.25 metres and 125 centimetres (Skills: Numeracy, Critical and Creative Thinking)(V...
- Science > Year 5 > Science Understanding > Earth and space sciences > ACSSU078
The Earth is part of a system of planets orbiting around a star (the sun)Elaborationsidentifying the planets of the solar system and comparing how long they take to orbit the sun (Skills: Literacy, Cr...
- Mathematics > Year 6 > Measurement and Geometry > Using units of measurement > ACMMG136
Convert between common metric units of length, mass and capacityElaborationsidentifying and using the correct operations when converting units including millimetres, centimetres, metres, kilometres, m...
- Mathematics > Year 7 > Number and Algebra > Real numbers > ACMNA154
Multiply and divide fractions and decimals using efficient written strategies and digital technologiesElaborationsinvestigating multiplication of fractions and decimals, using strategies including pat...
- Mathematics > Year 6 > Number and Algebra > Fractions and decimals > ACMNA129
Multiply decimals by whole numbers and perform divisions by non-zero whole numbers where the results are terminating decimals, with and without digital technologiesElaborationsinterpreting the results...
- Mathematics > Year 7 > Number and Algebra > Real numbers > ACMNA156
Round decimals to a specified number of decimal placesElaborationsusing rounding to estimate the results of calculations with whole numbers and decimals, and understanding the conventions for rounding...
- Mathematics > Year 6 > Number and Algebra > Fractions and decimals > ACMNA130
Multiply and divide decimals by powers of 10Elaborationsmultiplying and dividing decimals by multiples of powers of 10 (Skills: Numeracy)(View this topic on www.australiancurriculum.edu.au )...
Photos of this resource, shared by teachers, parents and the Teach Starter team!
Find more resources for these topics
Comments & Reviews
Request a change
You must be logged in to request a change. Sign up now!
Report an Error
You must be logged in to report an error. Sign up now!