A fun sorting activity that consolidates knowledge of time to the hour, half-hour and to the quarter-hour.
Use this teaching resource in the classroom when teaching and learning how to tell the time. This match-up activity is ideal to use when consolidating knowledge of time to the hour, half-hour and to the quarter-hour, using the language of ‘past’ and ‘to’.
This hands-on activity can be played as a memory game. It is ideal to play with a partner during maths groups. You can differentiate this activity by selecting the times to suit the ability level of your students.
- Print the time machine template (one per partner).
- Cut out the analogue and digital clocks. Mix up the cards and place them face down on a table.
- Encourage the student to take it in turns to select 2 cards.
- If the two cards show corresponding times, students place them onto the time machine, before keeping the cards.
- If the 2 cards do not correspond, students return them to their original place on the table.
- The game is complete when all of the analogue and digital clocks have been matched up.
- The winner is the player with the most cards at the end of the game.