A set of 4 mats for students to practise alphabetising.
This activity has students alphabetise words to the first, second, and third letter!
Each mat has a different fish theme and alphabetises to different letters:
- Goldfish – alphabetise all to the first letter
- Purple Fish – alphabetise most to the first letter with some to the second letter
- Seahorse – alphabetise some to the first letter with most to the second letter
- Puffer Fish – alphabetise all to the third letter.
How to use this resource:
- Print the fish and mats on cardstock.
- Cut the fish out and keep them with the matching mat using a container or sealable bag.
- Put the fish and the blank mats into a reading centre for students to practise during English Group Activities.
You can print a recording sheet for each student to record their answers, or you can print the answer mats (the last four pages of the document) for students to self-check or to check a partner’s answers.
National Curriculum Curriculum alignment
- Key Stage 1 (KS1)
Key Stage 1 (KS1) covers students in Year 1 and Year 2.
- Key Stage 2 (KS2) - Lower
Key Stage 2 (KS2) - Lower covers students in Year 3 and Year 4.
English has a pre-eminent place in education and in society. A high-quality education in English will teach pupils to speak and write fluently so that they can communicate their ideas and emotions to others and through their reading and listening, ot...
By the beginning of year 3, pupils should be able to read books written at an age-appropriate interest level. They should be able to read them accurately and at a speed that is sufficient for them to focus on understanding what they read rather than ...
We create premium quality, downloadable teaching resources for primary/elementary school teachers that make classrooms buzz!
Request a change
You must be logged in to request a change. Sign up now!
Report an Error
You must be logged in to report an error. Sign up now!