An infographic displaying important facts and statistics about gender inequality in education.
Use this teaching resource when exploring gender imbalance with your students.
This poster can be used to stimulate discussion about the implications of gender inequality in education.
Some key facts include:
- Around the world, there are at least 32 million girls of primary school age out of school, compared to about 28 million boys.
- Of the world’s 774 million illiterate adults, 2/3 are women. The share of illiterate women has not changed for the past 20 years.
- 15 million girls of primary school age will never have the opportunity to learn to read and write in a school setting, compared to about 10 million boys.
- At least 60% of the world’s countries have fewer girls enrolled in secondary education than boys.
- Globally, only 39% of girls living in rural areas attend secondary school, compared to 45% of boys living in rural areas.
- In general, girls who get an education marry later, have fewer children, earn higher wages and support healthier families.
Source: United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
We create premium quality, downloadable teaching resources for primary/elementary school teachers that make classrooms buzz!
Find more resources for these topics
Request a change
You must be logged in to request a change. Sign up now!
Report an Error
You must be logged in to report an error. Sign up now!