An infographic displaying important facts and statistics about gender inequality in education.
Use this teaching resource when exploring gender imbalance with your students.
This poster can be used to stimulate discussion about the implications of gender inequality in education.
Some key facts include:
- Around the world, there are at least 32 million girls of primary school age out of school, compared to about 28 million boys.
- Of the world’s 774 million illiterate adults, 2/3 are women. The share of illiterate women has not changed for the past 20 years.
- 15 million girls of primary school age will never have the opportunity to learn to read and write in a school setting, compared to about 10 million boys.
- At least 60% of the world’s countries have fewer girls enrolled in secondary education than boys.
- Globally, only 39% of girls living in rural areas attend secondary school, compared to 45% of boys living in rural areas.
- In general, girls who get an education marry later, have fewer children, earn higher wages and support healthier families.
Source: United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
Plan to inspire every child with hundreds of teacher planning and wellness stickers or one of two merit sticker books. Get your free book with a Teach Plus plan.Upgrade to Teach Plus and claim → Learn more
Free Sticker Books Terms & Conditions: The free sticker book offer is only available for 1 claim per active Plus & Ultimate plan members during the promotional period commencing on the 6th December 2019 and closes when stocks run out. To claim the promotional gift, claimants must validate their postal address via our online form. Teach Starter reserves the right to change, amend or end a promotion at any time without notice.
Find more resources for these topics
Request a change
You must be logged in to request a change. Sign up now!
Report an Error
You must be logged in to report an error. Sign up now!