Wrinkled Heart Classroom Activity

Wrinkled Heart Activity

Written by Holly (Teach Starter)

With National Day Against Bullying and Violence coming up on the 18th of March. It’s timely to reflect and spend some time focusing on the impacts bullying can have on a person. I found this wonderful idea off Encourage Play blog.

Make your classroom buzz! Create a free Teach Starter account and download hundreds of time-saving resources. Find out more

Wrinkled Heart Activity

• Provide every student with a coloured heart before watching the following YouTube clip. The YouTube clip features the story – Chrysanthemum!
  • Explain to your students that they will need to listen carefully.
  • When the characters in the story use mean words, they need to scrunch up their paper hearts.
  • Every time Chrysanthemum’s parents use kind words, students need to try and smooth out their paper hearts.

At the end of the story, have students smooth out the hearts as much as possible and try to fix any rips with sticky tape.

Compare a heart that hasn’t been wrinkled with the wrinkled hearts around the classroom.

Explain to your students that although saying sorry is the right thing to do, it still doesn’t fix the mean words that were said first! The students can smooth out their wrinkled paper hearts, but the feelings from the mean words are the wrinkles that will always be there!

Hang up the hearts in your classroom as a reminder to your students how their words can have a massive impact on their fellow classmates!

Let us know if you have used this activity in your classroom.

We would love to hear how it went!

Comments & feedback

• wendy holdsworth

I used this activity on the National Day Against Bullying and it was a huge success!! A great visual for students to gain an understanding of bullying.

Comment by wendy holdsworth on March 17, 2017 at 11:34 am

• Holly (Teach Starter) Holly (Teach Starter)

Thanks for your lovely comment Wendy. I am so glad that this activity helped your students to visualise and understand the impacts of bullying.
      Kind regards,
      Holly

Official comment by Holly (Teach Starter) on March 20, 2017 at 11:42 am

• Fran

I used this activity today (#NDA2017) with my grade 3 kids and it was a hit. It really hit home with a few of them that despite saying sorry or something nice in the future, it wouldn’t be rid of the wrinkles left behind. A number of others in the class are expecting new siblings this year and have vowed to ensure the beautiful unblemished hearts their brothers and sisters would be born with stayed that way.

Comment by Fran on March 17, 2017 at 2:53 pm

• Holly (Teach Starter) Holly (Teach Starter)

Thanks for such a lovely comment Fran! It is so nice to hear that this activity was well received by your class!
      Kind regards,
      Holly

Official comment by Holly (Teach Starter) on March 27, 2017 at 1:36 pm

• Christina Malouf

I just used this with my year 5 class. They enjoyed doing the activity, and it really opened up their eyes to affect of name calling and bullying.

Comment by Christina Malouf on February 9, 2018 at 1:25 pm

• Holly (Teach Starter) Holly (Teach Starter)

Thanks so much for your comment Christina. So glad that your year 5 class enjoyed doing this great activity.

Official comment by Holly (Teach Starter) on February 10, 2018 at 12:23 pm

• Sarah Campbell

Absolutely loved this activity!! I have a year two class and the children really responded to it and we displayed our wrinkled hearts along with the Heading about the wrinkled hearts on our door. I even took it further by talking to the children about how they wrinkle each others hearts and my heart. I explained that every time they said something mean or unkind to one of their friends that they were wrinkling their hearts. also said that each time they called out at me or were rude to me, that they were wrinkling my heart. A very beautiful activity

Comment by Sarah Campbell on March 19, 2018 at 12:47 pm

• Holly (Teach Starter) Holly (Teach Starter)

Hi Sarah, thanks so much for sharing your experiences with this activity. I’m so glad that your students find this helpful!

Official comment by Holly (Teach Starter) on March 22, 2018 at 12:53 pm

• Sarah Campbell

Absolutely loved this activity!!
    I have a year 2 class and used this activity with them on National Day of Action against Bullying and Violence day 2018. My children really responded well to this activity. They all tried so hard to smooth out the wrinkles after and found they couldn’t. I explained that that’s what happened to our hearts when people say mean things to us. I even took it one step further and explained to them that every time they shouted out at me or were rude to me that they were wrinkling my heart. I said that we still needed to say sorry, however it cant fix our wrinkled hearts. We then displayed our hearts on our classroom door with the wrinkled heart heading on top. My children seemed to really take what I said to heart and made an effort to come and thank me for the activity.

Comment by Sarah Campbell on March 19, 2018 at 12:54 pm

• Holly (Teach Starter) Holly (Teach Starter)

Hi Sarah, thanks so much for your comment. I’m so glad that your year 2 class enjoyed this activity and that your students took on the meaning of the activity.

Official comment by Holly (Teach Starter) on March 19, 2018 at 1:19 pm

Log in or sign up to join the conversation.

Our Vision

We believe in a world where every child is inspired to build a purposeful and happy life through learning.

Jill Snape & Scott Tonges (founders)
Jill Scott

About Teach Starter

Start saving hours each week...

Free 200+ page pack Easy to use Save hours

Already a member? Log in...