Super fun and easy art activity that focuses on line and shading to create an optical illusion.
Thanks to @missgirlingsclassroom for her classroom display of this awesome craft activity!
- Square piece of paper
- Lead pencil
- Permanent marker
- Bowl or round container
- Draw a circle in the middle of the page. To get the exact middle, use a ruler to draw a horizontal and vertical line to find the exact middle of your page.
- Then, use a container to draw around the edge to get an exact circle.
- Next, draw 6 curved lines horizontally and 6 curved lines vertically. We measured 1.5 cm from the edge of the circle. This gave it more of the rounded look.
- Then, draw straight vertical and horizontal lines evenly in the background.
- Once you are happy with the look, go over the lines with a permanent marker.
- Colour the squares in a checkered sort of pattern both inside and outside the circle. We started from the middle of the circle to make sure we made no mistakes!
- Finally, use a lead pencil to shade around one side of the circle to give the appearance of a shadow.
Your students will love creating this optical illusion activity.
Check out our video for further details…