A mathematics investigation about measuring mass, embedded in a real-world context.
This open-ended mathematics investigation has been designed to deepen students’ understanding of mass.
Mrs. Eco, the school principal, is determined to reduce the amount of waste being thrown away by your school. In order to take action, she first needs to know how much waste the school is throwing away.
In this investigation, the students must measure and record the classroom waste for each class in their school. They must then present their data as a column graph to be presented to Mrs. Eco for further analysis.
This teaching resource includes:
- teacher notes, detailing a range of important information about the investigation
- a detailed description of the investigation for students, including step-by-step instructions
- various recording worksheets
- reflection questions.
Read our blog 45 Sustainable Practices for the Environmentally Friendly Classroom for more tips and ideas for teaching the principles of Sustainability.How do I print this teaching resource?
"I love teach starter and am so thankful to have found such a great resource collection. The fee is only a few hours pay and I saved myself that much work within the first 15 minutes!" ~ Nanci, a happy Teach Starter member.
Want to see why hundreds of thousands of teachers love Teach Starter? Download a FREE 200+ page pack of premium Teach Starter teaching resources.
Australian Curriculum alignment
- Mathematics > Year 3 > Measurement and Geometry > Using units of measurement > ACMMG061
Measure, order and compare objects using familiar metric units of length, mass and capacityElaborationsrecognising the importance of using common units of measurement (Skills: Numeracy, Critical and C...
- Mathematics > Year 4 > Measurement and Geometry > Using units of measurement > ACMMG084
Use scaled instruments to measure and compare lengths, masses, capacities and temperaturesElaborationsreading and interpreting the graduated scales on a range of measuring instruments to the nearest ...
- Mathematics > Year 3 > Statistics and Probability > Data representation and interpretation > ACMSP069
Collect data, organise into categories and create displays using lists, tables, picture graphs and simple column graphs, with and without the use of digital technologiesElaborationsexploring meaningfu...
- Mathematics > Year 4 > Statistics and Probability > Data representation and interpretation > ACMSP096
Construct suitable data displays, with and without the use of digital technologies, from given or collected data. Include tables, column graphs and picture graphs where one picture can represent many ...
Photos of this resource, shared by teachers, parents and the Teach Starter team!
Comments & Reviews
Request a change
You must be logged in to request a change. Sign up now!
Report an Error
You must be logged in to report an error. Sign up now!