Practise writing a persuasive text with this speech writing task.
In this task, students imagine that they have been asked to represent the children of their country at a meeting of world leaders. They must choose a major issue affecting children around the world and convince the leaders at the meeting to take urgent action on this issue. The issues are:
- providing every child with access to clean drinking water
- providing every child with the opportunity to go to school
- providing every child with immunisations against preventable diseases.
Students research, plan and write a persuasive speech based on one of the above issues. Teachers may wish for students to rehearse and present these speeches to the class.
This teaching resource includes:
- a brainstorming mind map
- a research graphic organiser
- a planning template
- a checklist for structure, language features and persuasive devices.