A Lunar New Year-themed 'Year of the Tiger' string puppet template.
Have a ROARING Fun Time in the Lunar New Year
It’s tigers on parade with this puppet activity that encourages creativity, storytelling, and fine motor skill honing!
There are two versions of our ‘Year of the Tiger’ puppet available:
- Patterned version that doubles as a mindfulness coloring activity
- Blank version for students who want to add their own designs
Use the dropdown menu on the Download button to choose your preferred option.
Create More Curriculum Connections
Extend this activity far beyond Lunar New Year with additional lessons like these.
🐅 Engage their storytelling skills! Assemble a puppet jungle of animals for your creative play center.
🐅 Open a lesson on symmetry by talking about the striped pattern.
🐅 The tiger has many stripes…why? Discuss the tiger’s amazing ability to camouflage itself in a science lesson on animal adaptations.
🐅 Create abstract art by gluing tigers into a background of each student’s design.
Easily Prepare This Resource for Your Students
Print on colored paper, construction paper, or cardstock for a stiffer string puppet. To turn this into a center activity, place all pieces in a folder or large envelope for easy access.
- Decorate and cut out each part of the puppet.
- Punch holes through each of the small circles on the template.
- Fold the tiger’s body along the two dashed lines (the fold becomes the belly of the tiger).
- Glue the ears onto each side of the head. Use brass brads or glue to attach the legs, the head, and the tail to the body.
- Tape one piece of string to the back of the head and another piece of string to the back of the body near the tail. Attach the other end of each string to a wooden ruler or craft sticks.
Before You Download
Use the dropdown icon on the Download button to choose between the patterned or blank PDF or Google Slides versions of this resource.
Bring the Lunar New Year into your classroom with more teaching resources and activities!