This Mathematics unit addresses the concept of telling the time to the hour, half hour and quarter hour.
It consists of 7 lessons of approximately 60 minutes duration.
The sequence of lessons and suggested time frames should be regarded as a guide only; teachers should pace lessons in accordance with the individual learning needs of their class.
An assessment task for monitoring student understanding of the unit objectives is included and will require an additional lesson.
This unit plan includes the following resources:
- Telling the Time Poster
- Telling the Time Clock Template
- 12-Hour Clock Template
- Analog Clock Worksheet (O’clock and Half Past)
- Skip Counting by 2, 3, 4, 5, and 10 Posters and Worksheets
- Analog Clock Features
- Time Dominoes – Half, Quarter, and Hour Intervals
- Blank Digital and Analog Clock Worksheet
- Digital Clock Template
- Digital and Analog Clock Template
- Telling the Time Bingo – Hour and Half-hour
- Minute Hand Only Clock Template
- Quarter Time Match-Up Worksheet
- Telling the Time Bingo – Hour, Half-hour, Quarter To and Quarter Past
- Time Assessment Worksheet – Grade 1 and Grade 2
- To understand and recognize the features of the analog clock.
- To tell the time on an analog clock to the half hour.
- To skip count in 5s when telling the time.
- To understand and recognize the features of the digital clock; and differentiate between digital and analog clocks.
- To review analog and digital times.
- To tell the time to the quarter hour on analog clocks.
Prior to commencing the unit, develop a time display in the classroom. Display posters and word wall vocabulary that the students will engage with throughout the unit to stimulate their learning. For examples of such resources, browse the Time category on the Teach Starter website.
There are many different aspects involved in learning to tell the time. The lessons in this unit cover a range of these concepts, many of which have varying degrees of complexity. Teachers are encouraged to select lessons from the unit that best suit the learning needs of their students, or to adapt lessons accordingly.
Some of the resources which accompany this unit plan will need to be prepared prior to teaching. For this reason, it is advised that teachers browse through all lessons before commencing the unit.
NSW Curriculum alignment
Time - describes, compares and orders durations of events, and reads half- and quarter-hour time