A 41-slide teaching presentation to use when exploring subtraction strategies.
Before moving on to the written vertical algorithm for subtraction, lay a strong foundation and understanding of these mental computation strategies.
As there are a number of strategies covered in this presentation, it is assumed that the slides will be viewed over numerous lessons.
The following strategies are addressed:
- counting back
- counting on
- using known facts such as rainbow facts, doubles, subtracting 10
- making tens (partitioning to numbers that end in zero)
- using fact families to think addition in order to subtract
- jump strategy
- split strategy
- regrouping (trading).
This PowerPoint includes hyperlinks to the following subtraction teaching resources:
- Making Tens Subtraction Worksheet
- Missing Addends Avenue Worksheet
- Jump Strategy Subtraction Game
- Split Strategy Subtraction Dominoes
- Trade It Board Game.
Download this resource as part of a larger resource pack or Unit Plan.
National Curriculum Curriculum alignment
- Key Stage 2 (KS2) - Lower
Key Stage 2 (KS2) - Lower covers students in Year 3 and Year 4.
The principal focus of mathematics teaching in lower key stage 2 is to ensure that pupils become increasingly fluent with whole numbers and the four operations, including number facts and the concept of place value. This should ensure that pupils dev...
- Addition and subtraction
We create premium quality, downloadable teaching resources for primary/elementary school teachers that make classrooms buzz!
Find more resources for these topics
Request a change
You must be logged in to request a change. Sign up now!
Report an Error
You must be logged in to report an error. Sign up now!