A 41-slide teaching presentation to use when exploring subtraction strategies.
Before moving on to the written vertical algorithm for subtraction, lay a strong foundation and understanding of these mental computation strategies.
As there are a number of strategies covered in this presentation, it is assumed that the slides will be viewed over numerous lessons.
The following strategies are addressed:
- counting back
- counting on
- using known facts such as rainbow facts, doubles, subtracting 10
- making tens (partitioning to numbers that end in zero)
- using fact families to think addition in order to subtract
- jump strategy
- split strategy
- regrouping (trading).
This PowerPoint includes hyperlinks to the following subtraction teaching resources:
- Making Tens Subtraction Worksheet
- Missing Addends Avenue Worksheet
- Jump Strategy Subtraction Game
- Split Strategy Subtraction Dominoes
- Trade It Board Game.
Download this resource as part of a larger resource pack or Unit Plan.
National Curriculum Curriculum alignment
- Addition and subtraction
- Key Stage 2 (KS2) - Lower
Key Stage 2 (KS2) - Lower covers students in Year 3 and Year 4.
The principal focus of mathematics teaching in lower key stage 2 is to ensure that pupils become increasingly fluent with whole numbers and the four operations, including number facts and the concept of place value. This should ensure that pupils dev...
We create premium quality, downloadable teaching resources for primary/elementary school teachers that make classrooms buzz!
Find more resources for these topics
Suggest a change
You must be logged in to request a change. Sign up now!
Report an Error
You must be logged in to report an error. Sign up now!