A 41-slide teaching presentation to use when exploring subtraction strategies.
This teaching presentation, which includes animations, has been designed to explain a variety of commonly used mental computation strategies for subtraction.
Before moving on to the written vertical algorithm for subtraction, lay a strong foundation and understanding of these mental computation strategies.
As there are a number of strategies covered in this presentation, it is assumed that the slides will be viewed over numerous lessons.
The following strategies are addressed:
- counting back
- counting on
- using known facts such as rainbow facts, doubles, subtracting 10
- making tens (partitioning to numbers that end in zero)
- using fact families to think addition in order to subtract
- jump strategy
- split strategy
- regrouping (trading).
This PowerPoint includes hyperlinks to the following subtraction teaching resources:
- Making Tens Subtraction Worksheet
- Missing Addends Avenue Worksheet
- Jump Strategy Subtraction Game
- Split Strategy Subtraction Dominoes
- Trade It Board Game
Write a review to help other teachers and parents like yourself. If you'd like to request a change to this resource, or report an error, select the corresponding tab above.